Friday, March 10, 2006

Singapore Day 2 of 2

Singapore day two. We departed at 3:30 this afternoon. There was not much more we wanted to see and it is very hot here as it is only a little over one degree from the equator. You cannot stand outside very long without cooking. So we decided to just look around in the mall connected to the ship. I was looking for a new laptop computer. We had gone into one store yesterday where I found a conman for a salesman. I wouldn’t buy anything from him even if the prices were good and they were not. We found a huge electronics store on a second level. They had quite a few things we have not seen anywhere yet. They had no bargains on computers either. We were fascinated by some of the items at the McDonalds. Rice buns with some kinds of deep fried beef or chicken and other strange stuff we would never see at home. At about noon we started walking back to the ship for lunch. Up until this time another ship had been docked on the opposite side of the pier. All the passengers seemed to be Oriental. Chinese I think. I know I had seen this ship before. It had to be an old original Royal Caribbean. I could tell from their trademark Viking Crown Lounge on the smoke stack. There were three originals. First was the Song of Norway. Next was the Nordic Prince. And last was the Sun Viking. The first two had been cut in half and stretched by installing a center section. The last had not been lengthened. I could see no weld lines that looked like a center section had been added so I figured it must be the old Sun Viking. As we walked by the entrance to that ship I asked if either of the guards from the ship spoke English. Both did, and well. I asked if they knew the original name of the ship and they confirmed it was the old Sun Viking. They said it had a deeper draft then the Voyager even though it was only about half the size. I had been on that ship many times in the 70’s. Back then Royal Caribbean was the best line in the Caribbean.

Old Ship Sherm Out

(Posted on behalf of Sherman Rootberg)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web worldcruise2006.blogspot.com